Medical Lab Assistant - Tech3
The Sault Area Hospital, ,
Part Time Medical Lab Assistant – Tech 3
OPSEU LOCAL 620
JOB POSTING #: 700-866-2018
POSITION: Medical Lab Assistant – Tech 3 – Part Time
RATE: $25.92 - $29.88 hourly
SHIFTS: Must be available to work all shifts including day, evening and night shifts, weekends and statutory holidays
Purpose of Position:
To assist Medical Laboratory Technologists by the performance of technical tasks requiring minimal supervision and that do not require the exercise of independent judgment.
1. Procure blood samples.
2. Prepare sample for analysis (e.g. separation numbering – including referral specimens).
3. Prepare reagents, media and smears (e.g. blood films).
4. Stain smears.
5. Coverslip slide preparations.
6. Concentrate stool samples for Parasitology examinations.
7. Plant and streak microbiology specimens and controls, including set-up of anaerobic and CO2 jars, for reading by a Medical Laboratory Technician.
8. Subculture stock cultures in Bacteriology.
9. Titration using a pH meter.
10. Urinalysis (excluding microscopic).
11. Record quality control results for interpretation and approval by qualified staff as listed above.
12. Operate automated instruments after proper functioning has been established by qualified staff as listed above.
13. Set-up of erythrocyte sedimentation rates.
14. Set-up of micro hematocrits.
15. Set-up of serology tests (e.g. occult blood, pregnancy test – to be read and interpreted immediately by a Medical Laboratory Technician).
16. Routine equipment maintenance.
17. Monitor temperature of thermally controlled equipment.
18. Transcribe results from worksheets to reports.
19. File records and retrieve files.
20. Wash glassware.
21. Prepare kits.
22. Other duties as assigned.
1. Certification by the Ontario Society of Medical Technologists (or other professional body) as Laboratory Assistant (or higher)
KNOWLEDGE & ABILITY:
2. Ability to work effectively and efficiently as a team member in a fast paced environment in stressful situations.
3. Customer service, interpersonal and telephone skills.
4. Computer literacy in a Microsoft environment.
5. Ability to maintain successful working relationships with the interdisciplinary team to achieve positive patient outcomes.
6. Ability to organize time effectively to perform the duties of the position.
7. Ability to meet and interact with people in a pleasant, professional, responsible and reassuring manner.
8. Behavior consistent with Hospital Mission, Values and Standards of Performance.
9. Human relations skills including empathy, sensitivity, understanding of human and organizational behavior, motivational techniques and counseling skills (e.g. teaching patients).
10. Ability to read, write and communicate to perform the duties of the position.
11. Knowledge of laboratory equipment maintenance and operation required.
12. Knowledge of sterile tissue culture conditions as required by assigned area.
Note: Because of the changing nature of the work and work to be done, other responsibilities and duties may by assigned and qualifications may be adjusted from time to time.
POSTED: November 28, 2018, 16:00 hours to December 28, 2018, 16:00 hours
Sault Area Hospital is a respectful, caring, and inclusive workplace. We are committed to championing accessibility, diversity, equal opportunity and maintaining a barrier-free selection process for job applicants. Requests for accommodation can be made at any stage of the recruitment process providing the applicant has met the requirements for the open position. Applicants need to make their requirements known to the Human Resources department when contacted. All requests are handled confidentially.
This position is covered by a collective agreement. Applications from outside the bargaining unit are welcome, but can only be considered if the position is not filled from within the bargaining unit