The Sault Area Hospital, ,
Part Time Registered Technologist
OPSEU LOCAL 620
JOB POSTING #: 699-865-2018
POSITION: Registered Technologist – Part Time
RATE: $31.32-$41.98 hourly
SHIFTS: Shift work, may include days, increased evening and night shifts, weekends and statutory holidays
Purpose of Position:
To perform laboratory tests, collect specimens and report results to Patient Care Providers, with interpretation as
required within the parameters as defined by the College of Medical Laboratory Technologists and any other applicable
1. Perform laboratory procedures as indicated in department manuals, following Hospital and Laboratory Policies.
2. Work in two or more laboratory subsections, i.e. Transfusion Services, Clinical Chemistry, Microbiology, Histology and Hematology.
3. Remain current in laboratory medicine and participate in available continuing education programs as required by the CMLTO.
4. Communicate with Patient Care Providers on laboratory matters and exercise independent judgment in specimen procurement, specimen analysis, reporting and interpretation of findings.
5. Other duties as assigned.
1. Completion of a post secondary Laboratory Technologist certificate program from a recognized institution.
2. Registered by the College of Medical Laboratory Technologists of Ontario in good standing
3. General Certificate, but Subject Certification may be acceptable at the discretion of the Laboratory Director.
1. Minimum acceptable experience in a training program approved by CSMLS, which includes a one-year clinical training.
2. One (1) year related work experience in a laboratory setting and/or phlebotomy, as required by assigned area.
3. Ability to work effectively and efficiently as a team member in a fast paced environment in stressful situations.
4. Customer service, interpersonal and telephone skills.
5. Computer literacy in a Microsoft environment.
6. Ability to maintain successful working relationships with the interdisciplinary team to achieve positive patient outcomes.
7. Ability to organize time effectively to perform the duties of the position.
8. Ability to meet and interact with people in a pleasant, professional, responsible and reassuring manner.
9. Ability to read, write and communicate to perform the duties of the position.
10. Knowledge of and participation in Quality Control procedures and Quality Assurance Programs.
11. Knowledge of laboratory equipment maintenance and operation required.
12. Knowledge of sterile tissue culture conditions as required by assigned area.
13. Behaviour consistent with Hospital Mission, Values and Standards of Performance.
Note: Because of the changing nature of the work and work to be done, other responsibilities and duties may be assigned and qualifications may be adjusted from time to time.
POSTED: November 28, 2018, 16:00 hours to December 28, 2018, 16:00 hours
Sault Area Hospital is a respectful, caring, and inclusive workplace. We are committed to championing accessibility, diversity, equal opportunity and maintaining a barrier-free selection process for job applicants. Requests for accommodation can be made at any stage of the recruitment process providing the applicant has met the requirements for the open position. Applicants need to make their requirements known to the Human Resources department when contacted. All requests are handled confidentially.
This position is covered by a collective agreement. Applications from outside the bargaining unit are welcome, but can only be considered if the position is not filled from within the bargaining unit.